Plantar Fasciitis Treatment Options in Mississauga
Plantar Fasciitis is caused by stress to the tissue that runs along the bottom of your foot from your heal to your toes, usually presenting as acute heel pain after a period of rest. Overuse or other predisposing factors can cause micro-tears and inflammation. It is important to seek treatment for this type of injury right away as it typically progresses quickly. The most common predisposing factors are having flat or high arched feet, inappropriate footwear, age and overuse. Contact Foundation Chiropody to treat your plantar fasciitis today!
If the damage is minor or caught early enough, treatment can be as simple as rest, proper supportive shoes and/or orthotics. Surgery is rarely necessary for plantar fasciitis. More persistent symptoms can usually be treated with conjunctive therapy, including:
Plantar fasciitis night splints
Laser or ultrasound therapy
Manual foot therapy
Hot and cold therapy
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
Tips on Reducing Pain
Here are some easy self-care tips to help in reducing the pain:
- Select suitable shoes that support your condition. A shoe with thick extra cushioning, thick soles, arch support and moderate heel can help your condition.
- Avoid wearing worn-out or run-down athletic shoes as lack of support cushion can further strain your feet.
- Try to engage in a low-impact sport.
- Use an ice pack to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Simple stretching exercises can help considerably in easing the pain caused by the plantar fascia.
For short-term relief, we at Foundation Chiropody may also recommend heel pads, taping, medication or exercises. Get in touch to schedule an appointment.